Catch My Drift on the infamous Bow River
Canada's Fly Fishing Store - Fly Mart

Fly Fishing Forums & Fly Tying Discussion Message Board

An online fly fishing & fly tying discussion board

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-16 20:32:22

rooster_svn

Danielsson or Vosseler

I'm looking to get a new reel for my salmon and steelhead rod that is a Scott 9"6' 8wt s4. I mostly do chuck"n"duck for them here in the great lakes of Michigan so no fly line is needed and a lot of backing is also not a big deal, balance is not important either. What is important or what I'm looking for is a reel that is on the smaller side (diameter) and light for all day fishing with plenty of smooth sealed stopping power drag to keep the runners from getting into structures or going down stream too fast because I use 6lb leader for steelie and 10lb for salmon. It came down to a Danielsson FW 5eight, LW 6nine or smaller in the same class that have what I need or the Vosseler DC3. I know that the Vosseler have a 2 year warrenty for $209 and the Danielsson have a lifetime for at most $369 but is the $160 more? Because you can almost get another Vosseler for that much. What do you guys think? And thank you for your reply. 

Also I'm now useing a Ross CLA 4 and the new reel is replacing  an Orvis Mach 4 because the drag is not sealed but very good when dry.

#2 2007-11-16 20:40:01

ccc

Re: Danielsson or Vosseler

If you do a search on this site you will find dozens of threads on both.  I believe Danielsson is a site sponsor so there is loads of info on their reels here.  I believe my brother-in-law posted a positive review for his Vosseler reel.  Again try a search.

Cheers,

Triple C

#3 2007-11-16 21:01:30

cbinwindsor

If you're fishing with Amnesia I would recommend a reel with a full cage like the Vosseler S series or a Teton Tioga. That way the line can't get caught between the reel frame and spool. The Tetons are fairly cheap and work great.

I know there's a really nice steelhead setup (10' 7wt) for sale on the Buy and Sell portion of the board with a Teton Tioga in mint shape slywink . here's the link:

http://flyfishingforums.hipwader.com/vi … hp?id=3218

If you're not interested in the set up then westcoaststlhdr is selling a Teton Tioga that would suit your needs:

http://flyfishingforums.hipwader.com/vi … hp?id=3153

It would be a little larger than the one in my pics.

CB

#4 2007-11-17 19:41:20

rooster_svn

CCC thanks for the reply but I did some search for danielsson and vosseler reel but came up empty on some useful reviews about these reels in the gear review forum. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place since this part of the forum is new. And cbinwindsor, thanks for the reply but no thanks. I want to stick to those two brands and am hoping for someone who owned both or either and make a recomendation for me for my needs.

#5 2007-11-17 20:31:30

Rob O'Reilly
Administrator

Well, I have only used the smaller Vosseler reels and think they are excellent value and solidly built.  I could also dig into iPhoto and show you lots of examples of some fine fish landed on Danielssons.  I think their drag systems are unbelievable, due in part to the fact that they're totally sealed.  I think both reel builders are excellent, but if you want to know what I take with me when I'm fishing...

My Pictures

.....yes, more gar and Danielsson reels...who would have guessed?!?!? wink

#6 2007-11-17 20:41:34

ccc

Rob O'Reilly wrote:

if you want to know what I take with me when I'm fishing...

.....yes, more gar and Danielsson reels...who would have guessed?!?!? wink

It must be nice to have $1400.00 for a Danielsson Control reel  rolleyes...envious

Last edited by ccc (2007-11-17 20:44:25)

Cheers,

Triple C

#7 2007-11-17 21:30:33

Rob O'Reilly
Administrator

Hey ccc~you clearly don't need a Danielsson Control to tame a big gar (or any steelhead on earth for that matter...)  Any of the FW, LW, or HD series will stop a freight train.  The  FW4Seven might be the finest reel I've ever used, and their 5Eight spool will fit the same frame.  If value is what you're after, there it is.  Do you use Danielsson Reels?

#8 2007-11-18 10:04:20

DuffinBoy

There are too many " S's"  in Danielsson and Vosseler.

I would go with a reel with one "S" in it.
DuFf

I don't need a Compass to tell me which way the wind shines.

#9 2007-11-18 11:33:23

kato

I purchased a Danielsson LW 6 9 a few weeks back and absolutely love it. I have only had the chance to use it 3 times so far, but the drag is excellent.

Here is the link on the Vosseler review by Rob.

http://hipwader.com/2004/vosseler-pro-f … eries-reel

If you want more information on the Vosseler reel you can try contacting Jim at the site below. I have found him helpful in the past in answering some inquiries I have had in the past.

http://www.just-reels.com/Vosseler.htm

Hope this helps.

Paul

#10 2007-11-18 12:26:49

cbinwindsor

DuffinBoy wrote:

There are too many " S's"  in Danielsson and Vosseler.

I would go with a reel with one "S" in it.
DuFf

I admit,  I'm thinking of getting another Vosseler and the thought of talking about my "Vosselers" is difficult. In Swedish it's in fact "Vosselerss" I think.

Don't get a Ross either. Of course Duffinboy's great technical insight holds true however the drag on my CLA is kaput. Of course I now have the great pleasure of dealing with their wonderful customer service. Lucky me for buying a peice of crap. I can't wait to get it back!!! It'll be a shiny new peice of crap!!!!

CB

Last edited by cbinwindsor (2007-11-18 12:35:02)

#11 2007-11-18 13:18:49

DuffinBoy

Did you oil the drag?
You shouldn't have a problem with Ross customer service.
They have been acknowledged as one of the best in the industry.

You should have bought a Gunnison (One S........two n's however)

DuFf

#12 2007-11-18 14:29:47

cbinwindsor

DuffinBoy wrote:

Did you oil the drag?
You shouldn't have a problem with Ross customer service.
They have been acknowledged as one of the best in the industry.

You should have bought a Gunnison (One S........two n's however)

DuFf

Nope. No oil. Worse. It got wet!!

CB

#13 2007-11-18 14:57:14

DuffinBoy

You took it near water.........!!!!

#14 2007-11-20 20:40:20

rooster_svn

Too bad I didn't have a chance to get a hold of these two reels and play with them before I buy. But I got in touch with Ron Larson and he had two LW 6nine in stock so I just jump on the opportunity to get one at $310, this is what I'm getting it for before the price higher price gets push into the market. I really hope this reel is as good as you guys are raveing about.

Board footer

HipWader.com Fly Fishing