Canada's Fly Fishing Store - Fly Mart

Fly Fishing Forums & Fly Tying Discussion Message Board

An online fly fishing & fly tying discussion board

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-17 10:04:55

TheKeeper
Website

Loop Evo Clwc 26 pic and thanks

Well Once I saw this reel I knwe I had to order it .    Thanks Rusty nail for the goto info on this one.   And Thanks to angelo @ With a Fly for a speedy order .   

And here is a pic of this Mega light weight reel. 

My Pictures

Cheers

Joe

#2 2006-06-17 10:48:31

Rusty Nail

Re: Loop Evo Clwc 26 pic and thanks

Hey Joe,

I have heard lots about you from Angelo at WithaFly Tackle.

Hope you enjoy the reel as much as I have so far!

Where do you fish?

If you are around WithaFly we should talk and compare.

I am picking up a black spool to go with the Clear body.  That should be really awesome!

PM if you want!

Nick

I think Niko T is going to get one too as he saw mine when I showed him at his place of work.

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

after more than 30+ years , I have two choices : watch the Leafs lose again on the tube, or tinker with fishing tackle

#3 2006-06-20 14:22:37

benson

Hey,

I had a quick question about this reel... Okay maybe I have more than one wink I have been interested in this reel since Angelo said he would start carrying loop products.  Can this reel switch from RH to LH retrieve easily if at all?  I would be sharing it with my wife and we have different retrieve hands retard I would most likely just pick up an extra spool if this is an easy job otherwise I'll have to consider buying two but thats a budget I don't want to consider if i don't have too.  Secondly/Thirdly, I was also wondering what the warranty is like and how much it weighs?  Since its a composite i'm sure it will be light but their website isn't offering up a whole lot of specs on any of their reels.

On another note, his Grey's line of rods seem really nice.  does anyone have any opinion on these rods?  I was looking at a 3/4 weight in the G series or the GRXi series which seem to offer great value for the dollar. I like the medium action? (full flex rod? it seems more closer to bamboo rod type action)

Thanks in advance
B

#4 2006-06-20 14:38:34

Rusty Nail

I believe that this reel doesn't switch.
I had to specify the retrieve.
The box states which had retrieve.
They are pretty reasonable in price.
Hope this helps.

after more than 30+ years , I have two choices : watch the Leafs lose again on the tube, or tinker with fishing tackle

#5 2006-06-20 14:53:19

UrbanAngler

Is it a lot cheaper in that unpainted version? wink

#6 2006-06-20 15:47:53

Rob O'Reilly
Administrator

If they are like other Loop reels in the past, the box will state how the reel has been set up at the factory, but they can be switched.  I never did open the CLW, but have opened other Evotecs to switch the retrieve.  I would NOT suggest making this switch every time you share your reel with your wife.  The one who uses it the least should compromise and crank it opposite to what it should be.....or get a second reel.  Trust me, it would be better for both the reel, and your sanity.nodnodnod

BTW, that clear CLW looks wicked! cool

#7 2006-06-21 10:20:25

Rusty Nail

Actually,  I spoke to Francois B from Loop and the Clear one is more expensive. More impressive than the Black one.

There maybe advantages to having the clear one due to the strength of the composite material.

You must specify the hand retrieve.

smilesmilesmilesmile

#8 2006-06-21 11:23:00

TheKeeper
Website

Howdy All

rob is right, they can be switched from left to right, but I don't think its an easy task, Thats why they give you a left of right hand factory option.  The Black one isn't painted,  Its black composite, so you can scratch it and it will be black all the way through.  The clear is a more expensive material ,  and therefor does carry a larger price tag.   

Your totally right on not giving alot of specs on the website.   Here is what I can tell you on the two six model.   

weight .  Stinky light.   in fact its the same weight as my 3 weight Ross evolution.
Backing with 6 weight line.  was 125 yards of gel spun 30lb. 
the drag is super smooth. 
I have no clue what the warrenty is, it didn't even state it in the ifo it came with. 
It doesn't come with a reel case,  but I am working on that.   

As for the greys rods, They feel good.   But hey for the extra 1000 bucks I think I prefer the Hardy angel .   

Hope that helps.  Any more questions don't hesitate to post me or PM me.

Cheers

Joe

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but wader prints

https://www.facebook.com/thebikezonebarrie

#9 2006-06-21 21:05:03

jwb_9

I saw somebody with a reel like that at cold springs trout farm once. with a plastic reel it wouldnt make much noise when realing or stripping out line wouldnt it question

#10 2006-06-22 13:26:20

Sal Velinous
Banned

Wow, all I can say is... why?

I guess you could get this to go with a zero weight rod, to keep the weight down and up the "look at me" factor".  wink

I can't really imagine a solid plastic reel having much other use... what happens when you drop it? 

Sal Velinous

Sal Velinous

Fish today, because the trout don't rise in Greenwood Cemetery.

#11 2006-06-22 13:28:48

ElusiveBrowns
Website

Sal Velinous wrote:

Wow, all I can say is... why?

I guess you could get this to go with a zero weight rod, to keep the weight down and up the "look at me" factor".  wink

I can't really imagine a solid plastic reel having much other use... what happens when you drop it? 

Sal Velinous

Somebody's jealous!!!  lol wink

"   For in the end,   We will conserve only what we love,  We will love only what we understand,  We will understand only what we are taught."   --- Baba Dioum "

#12 2006-06-22 15:04:06

Rusty Nail

Instead of bad mouthing a piece of equipment from a very good company why don't you take a real look at it before you judge.

Or say nothing at all.

Prudence is a virtue.

I realise that this may not before everybody.  I am sure traditionalists will not like to the look or the use of space age materials.

However, it has a great drag, good line capacity and is very smooth and light-weight.  These are features that you can get on alot of good reels out there BUT it looks good in my opinion and thats why I bought this reel and you probably wouldn't.

BTW what do you use for a rod/reel combo?

tonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetongue

#13 2006-06-22 15:56:53

TheKeeper
Website

Howdy Sal

Actually the reel is made out of a polycarbonate composite, not plastic.   Polycarbonate is what they make blast sheilds, riot sheilds and bullet proof glass out of.   Most people know polycarbonate by its trade name, Lexan.   Its also used to make nalgine bottles,  ever break one of those? For a brief reader on Polycarbonate check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate.  I assure that I won't be using this six weight reel for salmon, or pike.  But for its intended purpose I think it will give me quite a long while of faithful service.   Oh and I already droped it.... its fine.

Cheers

Joe

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but wader prints

https://www.facebook.com/thebikezonebarrie

#14 2006-06-23 13:45:18

Sal Velinous
Banned

Well now, that's interesting. I should have known that Loop would be using above-average materials. I would very much like to drop one of these reels onto some nice river rocks; wonder what the dealer would say.

Personally, while not totally immune to pretty gear, I don't buy stuff based on looks. I currently use mostly Orvis reels, on mostly Sage XP rods. Unless you're doing a ton of fishing for small carp or big salmon, the reel's purpose, as I'm sure you know, is simply to store line. I've hooked some decent sized browns, smallies, and steelhead here in Southern Ontario, which got me worried about tippets and knots, but never about the quality of the drag system.

And Rusty, please note the little smiley face with the winking eye in the middle of my post; it means don't get too serious, I'm probably messing witcha.

Sal Velinous

Sal Velinous

Fish today, because the trout don't rise in Greenwood Cemetery.

#15 2006-06-23 14:09:15

nick0danger

I wanted one of those loop reels to but im far to cheap LOL.  However with the fish we have in the BOW the GOOD drag is needed.

#16 2006-06-23 14:25:00

UrbanAngler

That's a nice reel, no doubt, and many of us gear freaks would appreciate it for its uniqueness and quality.

That said, my most precious fly reel is my first crapperware Martin reel. It holds line, has a pretty well useless drag on it, looks like crap (well, not since I repainted it to restore it's original colours that had been chipped off), and while I could do just as well wrapping my line around a tin can, this reel will always be my first fly fishing reel.  smile

My point? It's all in the eye of a beholder I guess... I have a nicer reel but some days I'm just as happy with the crapperware, it means more to me...

Board footer

HipWader.com Fly Fishing